According to the Federal Trade Commission, it is our “Nation’s Fastest Growing Crime”.
Identity theft is a serious crime. It can disrupt your finances, credit history, and reputation, and take time, money, and patience to resolve. Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information and uses it without your permission.
Identity thieves might:
• Go through trash cans and dumpsters, stealing bills and documents that have sensitive information.
• Work for businesses, medical offices, or government agencies, and steal personal information on the job.
• Misuse the name of legitimate businesses, and call or send emails that trick you into revealing personal information.
• Pretend to offer a job, a loan, or an apartment, and ask you to send personal information to qualify.
• Steal your wallet, purse, backpack, or mail, and remove your credit cards, driver’s license, passport, health insurance card, and other items that show your personal information.